Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Worst Strategy in Poker

Last night's strategy in Friday Night Football was LOSING.  I don't recommend it.  I want to be the first to tell you that winning is way better than losing.  The game though just didn't seem serious or real.  The host player wasn't there.  We couldn't figure out how to work the Texas Holdem computer program.  Guys weren't very serious during game play.  4 players showed up late.  Once the game finally got going good, I just played unfocused and stupid.  I lost that game with a full house and was beaten by a bigger full house - figures.

In game 2, we lost 2 players.  I ended up having to deal for both dealers (we use 2 dealers to speed up the game), and I tried not to let that be a distraction, but it just was.  I played OK in that game, but I went out in 3rd place - no money, but lots of stupid play.

Game 3 - not even worth talking about really, except that my rule of understanding the other players at the table didn't really get used.  I played as if a couple of the guys wouldn't call all of my bets.  I had pocket 8's, but one of the guys said he thought I had pocket K's (and there was another K on the flop), so I played my supposed set.  I made a couple of huge bets and he called.  By then, I was totally pot-committed (which is a term that I hate because it can be trouble), so I went all-in.  Guess what?  He called.  His 2 pair beat my pocket 8's.  I deserved to lose, but I was shocked that he made that call.  I'm not sure if that was just a very gutsy call or a potential mis-play, but either way, he got me.

Where was my head last night?  If you see it, please return it.

Lesson:  Losing is the Worst Strategy in Poker

No comments:

Post a Comment