Saturday, September 18, 2010

Texas Hold'em: It Helps to Hit Good Cards

OK, so I said I was going to leave stupid at home last night when I went to play poker, and I did.  Looking back on the night, I can't remember one stupid move (on my part).  I was back to making calculated plays, at times even reminding myself not to play stupid.  There were 9 people there last night, whereas usually we have 8.  So, the card "rotation" was changed slightly.  We also used 2 new decks.  I'm not necessarily saying that these 2 factors had anything significant to do with the outcome of the games because we had winners in all 3 games.  I'm just pointing out that we had some (minor) changes last night.

What I am saying is that sometimes even if you avoid playing stupid, you still need to get good cards at least some of the time.  You need good cards in your hand with matching good cards on the board (at least sometimes).  Last night, I got junk hole cards in what seemed like 80% of my hands.  In statistics there is a term called "mode".  This is the thing that happens most frequently - not an average - just the thing that happens more often that anything else.  Well unbelievably, my "mode" cards were 2-7 off.  I got that ugly combination 4 times in the 2nd game and 3 times in the 1st game.  I also got 2-7 suited twice.  Ordinarily that wouldn't necessarily be such a big deal because that kind of stuff happens.  However, on top of getting 2 7 nine times, I also got just about every junk card combination you can think of.  8-2, 9-2, 9-3, 8-3, 6-3, and on and on and on.

An undisciplined player might get tired of folding and just start playing those cards.  Believe me, it was tempting, but then what?  Those are the worst statistical starting hands in poker.  You could get lucky from time to time, but more often than not, you're just going to lose.  I played patiently, folding one hand after another.  And, I played frustrated, which like I've said before, is part of the formula to losing.  I would occasionally get some decent starting hands:  Q-J off, J-J, 9-10 suited, A-7 suited.  Those never worked out for me though.  It just wasn't my night.  In Texas Hold'em, even the best players (and I am not one of those guys yet) need to get cards to at least build some momentum.

So, I got off the short-lived losing streak in game 3 with a win, but it wasn't very significant to me.  Only 5 of us stayed for the final game, so I only had to deal with 4 other players instead of 8.  I started hitting cards with a smaller card rotation and 1 of the guys had more than a few beers in games 1 and 2, so getting his chips wasn't the hardest thing I've ever had to do.  It was a win, but it wasn't a good win.

No comments:

Post a Comment