Saturday, August 28, 2010

Friday Night Poker: Respect the Streak

To be honest with you, I'm a little embarrassed to be writing this.  I've either gotten 1st or 2nd in 6 of the last 7 games I've played in at Friday Night Poker.  I've actually gotten 1 or 2 in about 80% of the games I've played over the last 3 months.  I really quit keeping score because I wanted to respect the streak and I've been in an incredible poker zone.  You have to respect the streak, but I really like the guys I play with and at some point, I hope some of them win a game or 2, or at least get 2nd place and get a piece of the chop.  That did happen tonight for my buddy Chris.  He's been playing in the exact opposite direction as me over the last several weeks and tonight he got in the money twice out of 3 games, so for him, the losing is officially over.  He's a great player so I'm pretty sure he's not getting back on the losing streak anytime soon.  God help the rest of us.

But tonight - wow.  In the first game, I literally ended up with ALL OF THE CHIPS.  Chris said he's never seen that before and I hadn't either.  So, there was no chop because I knocked out both of the last 2 players with a straight on the flop (from the small blind).  It was pure brutality.  Prior to that however, I was down to a very small stack just like I have so many times before.  I lost a huge hand and donated a ton of chips, leaving me crippled (a position I have come to enjoy).  So, I told that guy that I would be coming back to get them.  I did.  I got 'em all - every last one of them.  I wanted to say I was sorry, but I wasn't.  He was 1 of those final 2 players.  I wasn't mad for losing my chips to him.  That's not why I went back in after them.  It was just a challenge that I made with myself.  What a thing that was!

The 2nd game started like the 1st one ended.  I got an early huge chip lead and ended up getting 2nd behind Chris who finally ended his losing streak against me.  Game 3 was forgettable, but to be completely honest, I was glad to lose.  I don't want to believe the hype.  The game 3 reality check was a good one too.  I played wild and stupid and deserved to lose, but stupid's gone now.  We'll see what happens next week.

To be continued. . .

Lessons:
1.  Don't play stupid!
2.  Don't believe your own hype.
3.  Respect the streak.

No comments:

Post a Comment