Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Poker Hand Nicknames

I've only been playing poker for a little over 2 years and it took most of that time for me to figure out what all of those poker hands were called.  As I've learned these, it's made the game more enjoyable because I feel like I can speak the language like the rest of my friends who play.  These lists are everything that I've learned and remembered so far. 

Starting Hands / Hole Cards

AA - Pocket Rockets / Bullets
KK - Cowboys
QQ - Ladies
JJ - Hooks
AK - Big Slick
AQ - Little Slick
AJ - Ajax (2 black cards are called blackjack)
KJ - Kojak
JA - Jack Ass
K9 - Canine
J5 - Motown / Jackson Five
10-2 - Doyle Brunson
9-8 - Oldsmobile
9-5 - Dolly Parton
8-8 - Snowmen
7-7 - Walking Sticks
6-6 - Route 66
6-9 - The Dirty
5-5 - Speed Limit
5-7 - Heinz
4-4 - Colt 44
4-9 - 49ers
2-2 - Ducks
2-3 - Jordan
9-9 - Gretzky
3-3 - Treys

And here are yet some others. . .

A K Q J 10 - Broadway
A 2 3 4 5 - The Wheel
K K K - 3 Wise Men
4 of a Kind - Quads
3 of a Kind - Trips or a Set
Full House - Boat

And finally. . .

"The Nuts" - This is an unbeatable hand.

If you "Flopped the Nuts", you made an unbeatable hand with your 2 hole cards plus the 1st 3 cards on "the flop".

Which reminds me - The "Flop" is the 1st 3 cards the dealer turns over.  The "Turn" is the 4th card and the "River" is the 5th and final card.

No comments:

Post a Comment